Senior Property Accountant (2958) Toronto, Canada
About Colliers International
Colliers is the leader in global real estate services, defined by our spirit of enterprise. Through a culture of service excellence and a shared sense of initiative, we integrate the resources of real estate specialists worldwide to accelerate the success of our partners. Putting into action our values of Service, Expertise, Community and Fun, we foster a collaborative, fun culture and give back to the places where we live and work. Our most valuable resource is our people: energetic, innovative thinkers who care equally about doing great work and providing exemplary service to clients and to one another.
We are successful because we enjoy what we do!
Purpose of Position:
We are looking for a Senior Property Accountant to join our downtown Toronto office. The successful candidate will be responsible for preparing financial statements for a specific portfolio of complex properties, reviewing financial statement results, preparing high-level analysis on an individual and/or consolidated portfolio basis, and providing accounting support to the operations group.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Prepare reporting and analysis on an individual property basis and/or consolidated client portfolio basis.
- Work proactively with the Operations team to identify issues regarding the monthly financial results, reporting packages to clients, tenant CAM / TAX questions, and provide guidance on proper accounting policies.
- Mentor and train newly hired and junior Property Accountants on the monthly reporting process, accounting policies and procedures, and accounting system.
- Assist the team leader to ensure that the overall team monthly reporting is completed on time and accurately.
- Coordinate the integration of new properties into the accounting work flow and reporting structure (acquisitions) and also assist with dispositions, as required.
- Participate in the monthly Operations / Accounting meetings on portfolio planning and the discussion and presentation of property results.
- Participate in the development, training, and implementation of new accounting policies, controls, and procedures.
- Support the Business Applications department in testing and implementing new accounting software functions and features (YARDI).
- Act as a systems and process support for Accounting and Operations.
- Support and implement special project initiatives including; documentation, process efficiencies, and implementation of system related improvements.
- Responsible for the supervision and review of one direct report (Property Accountant), as applicable.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in property accounting, client accounting, property management accounting, and/or real estate accounting.
- Accounting designation preferred (CMA / CGA / CA / CPA).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate across all levels within, as well as outside the organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively and professionally under pressure or in stressful situations.
- Independent, self-starter, and also works well in a team based environment.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and the ability to manage conflicting priorities within structured deadlines and deliverables.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills and proficient with Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Excellent knowledge and experience related to technology and accounting systems in a real estate environment (Yardi considered an asset).
If you enjoy working in an optimistic, energetic and dynamic work environment that emphasizes social as well as business interaction, then we invite you to apply.