Manager, Software Engineering (ELS000W6) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Elsevier is the world's leading provider of scientific, technical and medical (STM) information, tools and resources. A global company based in Amsterdam, Elsevier partners with scientists, researchers, healthcare providers, educators and decision-makers in academic institutions, governments and corporations to help them find, evaluate and use information. Our breadth of content is unparalleled, spanning virtually every STM field in the world and includes such distinguished brands as Gray's Anatomy, The Lancet and Cell. Using innovative technology, we deliver our content through tools that help our customers be more productive and successful in their work. ScienceDirect delivers the worlds' leading journals electronically to over 11 million readers in 200 countries. And physicians in 95 percent of teaching hospitals rely on MD Consult to get critical information that can save lives. Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
Manage daily activities of staff and responsible for designing and developing technical solutions, enhancing existing software, ensuring quality, and improving the software development process.
· Drives day-to-day development activities, managing resources, setting priorities, and ensuring superior quality.
· Establish creative solutions with sound architecture and technical. Design.
· Mentor team members in designing and developing solutions.
· Close collaboration with agile PM and team members on project planning and efficient use of resources.
· Liaise with business and technology stakeholders to provide effective solutions.
· Reviews and evaluates work and prepares performance reviews for direct reports.
· Consults with personnel in other ETS areas to coordinate activities.
· Reviews and implements enhancements to systems and operational procedures.
Participates in hiring process for staff and contractors.
· Willingly speaks up and asks tough questions on ethical issues
· Seeks out all sides of an argument or issue
· Challenges those who act against the core values
· Stands up for his/her own opinion but is able to take on-board other opinions
· Works for the common good of the team or organisation without letting go of personal values or ethics
· Understands and applies change management methodology to change initiatives
· Looks for ways to improve own work processes
· Plans ahead to prepare for changes that may affect the business or team
· Maintains a positive outlook in the face of a changing environment
· Is able to clarify how changes affect individual, team and wider division
Actively seeks out ways to continually improve team activities
· Regularly connects with customers to gather feedback on current activities and relationship with business
· Uses knowledge and feedback from a customer perspective to improve the team’s service/ product
· Regularly attends external meetings to represent the unit and that will benefit the business
· Encourages team to respond quickly to customer needs and concerns
· Does everything possible to achieve goals
· Regularly measures and evaluates progress
· Accepts responsibility for the results-based outcomes of group
· Holds others accountable and encourages others to take accountability for achieving results
· Shares credit and recognition with others for achieving goals
· Is able to ask effective questions and collect facts from multiple sources in order to solve problems
· Is able to effectively identify and analyze problems and propose solutions
· Effectively manages day-today issues and problems without intervention
· Fosters a learning environment that encourages people to learn from experiences
· Helps people feel valued and included in coaching and development discussions by expressing confidence in their ability to excel
· Creates effective development plans for individuals
· Willingly gives challenging developmental goals or stretch assignments
· Jointly identifies and plans appropriate development activities related to current / future jobs and organisational needs to enhance team members’ skills and competencies
· Encourages co-operation between all members of the team
· Identifies and removes barriers to team performance
· Helps people to resolve conflict
· Identifies ways for further collaboration across teams
· Seeks team members’ input and expertise; facilitates open and interactive discussion of matters affecting the team
· Balances “getting results” with a concern for others’ needs
· Is in touch with issues and concerns of individuals within the work group
· Manages conflict within work groups
· Initiates contact with other teams or divisions to build relationships that enhance the business results
· Is trusted by members of work group and across the organisation
· Adds value to the relationship