The Product Manager, Editorial, in the Major Reference Program of the S&T Books Group within Elsevier is responsible for editorial strategy, acquisition, and management of the portfolio of traditional Major Reference Works (multi-volume Works such as encyclopedias, comprehensives and treatises) and new online reference modules in Life Sciences and Social Sciences.
Product Acquisition and Management
· Develop and acquire commercially attractive, new e-leading reference content products, including creating proposals and financials for approval and then commission high-quality and committed editors-in-chief for each product. Accountable for signings and delivery of product.
· Collaborate with editors-in-chief of Major Reference Works in development to create editorial boards of well-known academics who will be highly motivated to deliver content on time.
· Manage a portfolio of published Major Reference Works (print and online) to identify, develop and publish revision, adaptation, and derivative products targeted to market needs.
· Manage publishing for portfolio of Major Reference Works, including content audit, cost control, data accuracy in systems, and Editorial Board management
· Work closely with Project Managers in Operations Group to ensure delivery on time and within budget of Major Reference Works in development.
· Collaborate with internal colleagues in other publishing groups, and with sales & marketing to ensure publication, sales revenue, profit, and other goals are met.
Strategic Planning: Develop and implement an editorial strategic plan for portfolio to meet market needs, including recommendations for product positioning and strategic partnerships (both internal and external).
Customer and Market Focus: Acquire customer knowledge, subject knowledge and competitor knowledge, and build a network of appropriate and high-quality contacts, such as potential editors-in-chief, editorial board members, and other key influencers and leaders, for subject areas within portfolio. Includes conducting customer interviews and surveys, and attending conferences and other external meetings as appropriate.
Elsevier is the world's leading provider of scientific, technical and medical (STM) information, tools and resources. A global company based in Amsterdam, Elsevier partners with scientists, researchers, healthcare providers, educators and decision-makers in academic institutions, governments and corporations to help them find, evaluate and use information. Our breadth of content is unparalleled, spanning virtually every STM field in the world and includes such distinguished brands as Gray's Anatomy, The Lancet and Cell. Using innovative technology, we deliver our content through tools that help our customers be more productive and successful in their work. ScienceDirect delivers the worlds' leading journals electronically to over 11 million readers in 200 countries. And physicians in 95 percent of teaching hospitals rely on MD Consult to get critical information that can save lives. Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
• Building strategic working relationships
• Building trust and gaining commitment
• Building customer loyalty
• Building partnerships
• Effective communications
• Sales ability/persuasiveness
General Knowledge and Technical Skills:
• Strong organizational skills
• Results oriented
• Customer and market focus
• Business acumen
• Strategic planning
• Project management skills
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills
Required Education and Experience:
• BA/BS required; background in Science preferred
• At least 5 years experience in scientific publishing with books and/or journals
• Experience managing large, complex publishing projects
• Experience commissioning and managing external academic Editorial Boards in scientific publishing
• Experience commissioning and publishing Major Reference Works highly preferred
Travel of 20% required, domestic and international.