Knovel Systems Administrator (ELS000UH) New York, New York
|Salary:||USD85000 - USD100000 per year|
Elsevier is the world's leading provider of scientific, technical and medical (STM) information, tools and resources. Knovel became part of Elsevier in January 2013. Knovel is a web-based application integrating technical information with analytical and search tools to drive innovation and deliver answers engineers can trust.
A global company based in Amsterdam, Elsevier partners with scientists, researchers, healthcare providers, educators and decision-makers in academic institutions, governments and corporations to help them find, evaluate and use information. Our breadth of content is unparalleled, spanning virtually every STM field in the world. Using innovative technology, we deliver our content through tools that help our customers be more productive and successful in their work.
Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
Knovel is seeking a highly enthusiastic, self-motivated Systems Administrator for our Mid-town Manhattan office who will be a core member of the Knovel Technology team. Strong skills in architecting, implementing, securing and managing high availability, mission critical infrastructure are a must. We are looking for a dedicated problem solver who can multi-task and prioritize tasks in a constantly evolving and demanding environment. You will work closely with internal Technology team and external vendors to help support a large-scale, growing web-based application and related services and products. The ideal candidate can work well under sustained pressure, has a strong sense of ownership, can-do attitude, urgency and drive. This position requires a strong technological foundation and the highest level of responsibility.
• Resolution of highly complex availability, capacity, security and performance issues.
• Lead platform architecture decisions and provide technical solutions to enhance system functionality
• Troubleshoot and maintain critical production and testing environments. Diagnose and address performance and tuning issues whenever and wherever they occur. Identify reoccurring issues and implement resolution plan
• Installation and configuration of software, releases, patches, and post install validation – following a strict change control and release process
• Document and maintain server, network, and support documentation including application diagrams
• Work with stakeholders to understand software and business requirements, prioritize issues and set clear expectations on deliverables and resolution
• Work with multiple managed geographically separated hosting solution providers to achieve application and business goals and objectives
• Work from a ticket queue to resolve application related issues • Integrate cutting edge tools and frameworks.
• Work on multiple projects and timelines.
• Improve our infrastructure: propose new approaches and tools, automate annoying tasks - a persistent drive to automate is a must
• Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience
• BS in Computer Science or related field
• End-to-end N-tier architecture expertise (including OS, server hardware, network appliance & storage, CDN, DBMS, middleware, web/application servers).
• 5+ years of Cent OS/Redhat, Nginx and Apache administration
• Working experience with Virtualization (Xen Server and VMWare), and CDNs (Akamai)
• Experience in scaling an application for enterprise needs
• Significant experience with high availability, performance, replication with PostgreSQL, MSSQL, MySQL
• Lucene indexing and usage / Solr
• Knowledge of standard internet protocols including: TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP, SSH, NFS, LDAP
• Scripting - Python, Node.js, bash, Perl; Monitoring and alerting with Cacti, Cricket, Syslog
• Configuration management systems using Chef and Puppet
• Hands-on experience migrating Web applications and Websites from managed, non-cloud based hosting environment to a cloud environment
• Experience configuring and managing load balancers and geographical distribution
• Ability to plan, document, and effectively administer applications in an engineering environment
• Maintaining in-depth and up-to-date knowledge of the technologies relevant to security, network, server, operating system, and storage architecture, along with associated best practices.