Junior Engineer - Fire Suppression (8262BR) Metro Vancouver, Canada
Hatch Mott MacDonald (HMM), a North American firm provides the advantage of a full-service engineering firm with a wide variety of career paths to choose from. Being a part of the HMM Team, provides the opportunity to work with dedicated professionals on a broad range of exciting projects. HMM, an equal opportunity employer, offers competitive benefits and is committed to developing the career of each employee.
We are seeking a Junior Fire Suppression Engineer to join our Fire, Life, Safety Group in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Skills and experience required for this role include:
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineer from an accredited university. Master’s degree would be an asset.
- Experience in the design of fire suppression for underground tunnels and structures
- Experience equipment selection (ducts, pipes and other fire suppression components)
- Familiar with life cycle cost analysis for tunnel ventilation dampers and tunnel ventilation fans; preliminary and final hydraulic calculations for deluge type sprinkler systems on hydraulic simulation for tunnel standpipe system and checking tunnel firefighting standpipe hydraulic calculations; analysis and modeling calculation.
- Be able to liaise confidently with external clients and colleagues across Hatch Mott MacDonald;
- Have a systematic logical approach to problem solving;
- Have good report writing, team working and communication skills;
- Have the ability to work independently, take the initiative, make decisions and work to tight deadlines to meet client needs;
- Be interested and open to going to site if required.
- Design software Required: Autocad / Microstation
- Modelling and Analysis software required: AutoPipe/ Pipe flow.
Responsibilities for this role will include, but not be limited to:
- Involvement in fire suppression projects or a small portfolio of fire, life and safety projects of various sizes from conception through to completion.
- Perform calculations in the following areas for which design drawings, specifications and reports are generated: Ventilation/Aerodynamics/Hydronic/Drainage
- Undertaking design and analysis and construction support for fire suppression systems for underground structures including: Fire Protection/Fire Suppression/Drainage Design
- Drafting technical reports in a range of engineering areas, including feasibility, design, inspections and assessments;
- Maintaining a comprehensive knowledge and appreciation of current technical engineering codes and practices and taking a 'hands on' role in technical matters;
- Interpreting commercial and/or contractual aspects of correspondence with or between fellow professionals.
- Working towards professional qualifications and undertaking training.