Senior Specialist - Tunnels (7735BR) Vancouver, Canada
Hatch Mott MacDonald is an employee-owned firm, with over 2,000 staff in North America. We provide technical and innovative solutions touching many areas of everyday life, including transportation, water, wastewater and the environment. As an award-winning infrastructure company focused on the transportation and water and wastewater sectors, we specialize in: aviation, bridges & highways, ports & harbours, rail & transit, rail systems, tunnels, and water (municipal infrastructure) & wastewater
This is a specialized tunnel engineering position that requires design and/or construction management experience with shaft excavation and bored tunnels in soft ground conditions. In this position, you will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to build on the skills and experience developed in previous tunneling projects, whilst becoming being part of one of the foremost tunneling consultants in North America.
Reporting to the HMM Vancouver Tunnel Practice Lead and Vancouver Area Manager, the successful candidate's responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Overview of shaft and tunnel detailed design and specifications prepared by others.
- Assistance with development/review of tunnel engineering and construction contract tender documents and with procurement and bid evaluation.
- Assisting with developing project specific tunnel engineering / management manuals and procedures.
- Resident engineer duties with particular emphasis on technical review of contractor’s construction means and methods, monitoring tunnel construction progress and adjustment to changed ground conditions.
- Oversight of Tunnel Inspectors
- Assistance to the Senior Managers for contract administration, progress reporting, change control and claims resolution in relation to the tunneling portions of projects.
The position offers career growth opportunities in a dynamic and expansion-oriented company. HMM provides competitive salaries together with comprehensive employment benefits.
Qualifications & Experience required for this role include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil, Geological or Mining Engineering from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 10 years of related work experience with shaft and tunnel excavation projects, with significant experience with deep excavation in soft ground conditions.
- Experience with earth pressure balance (EPB) or slurry shield tunnel boring machines (TBMs).
- Experience in varying excavation support systems for tunnel shaft construction in soft ground conditions.
- Construction Manager, Resident Engineer or Resident Tunnel Engineer appointments on tunneling projects.
- Related professional engineering designation.
- Well developed communication skills.
- Ability to oversee up to 15 technical professionals on a project team.
- The ability to work with, and coordinate with all levels of an organization.