Manager of Media Strategy (Novus) Chicago, Illinois
When you join Novus, you become part of something much bigger. You become a part of the world-class talent that has made Omnicom Group (NYSE: OMC) the leading global advertising, marketing and corporate communications company, providing services to over 5,000 clients in more than 100 countries. We are proud of our heritage as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Omnicom Media Group (OMG), the media services division of Omnicom Group, which includes the full service media networks OMD and PHD as well as a number of specialty media communications companies across a broad spectrum of traditional and emerging engagement channels. Novus is the largest and most financially significant specialty company in the OMG portfolio, and we are a rapidly growing and strategically important complement to the global OMG network.
At Novus, you are surrounded by more than 170 employees throughout Canada and the U.S. who share a passion not only for growing our clients’ business, but also for pushing boundaries. We don’t accept the status quo; instead we seek to challenge the norm, create opportunity and ultimately, surpass the competition. We are driven to perform – for our clients, our partners and for ourselves. Novus helps our clients make print and digital media an effective and integral part of their overall strategy through a nationwide network of publication partnerships, client-centered account teams, innovative buying strategies and cutting-edge workflow technology. By joining one of the premier media companies in the industry, you’ll be part of team that is passionate, engaged, forward-thinking and seizing opportunities on a daily basis. It’s fun, hard and satisfying work, and it shows in the fact that the people that come here tend to stay here.
General Description of Job / Functional Overview
The Manager of Strategy acts as the senior media representative to the client, working closely with their direct report(s), the Group Account Director (GAD), the Media Investment team and other internal / external subject matter experts to create print and digital media strategies that support client marketing objectives, business goals and media budgets. They must create a solid client relationship and provide key strategic initiatives / thinking that helps ensure the client and client team has a sophisticated understanding of media, primarily newspaper and local digital media. The Manager of Strategy helps develop and sell Novus’ credentials on-going and ensures the development and implementation of best practices among the team.
The Manager of Strategy develops planning objectives and strategies that coincide with the client’s marketing direction and manages implementation accordingly. They are responsible for selling plans to the client as well as assessing media performance to determine the extent to which the original objectives and strategies were met.
The Manager of Strategy must demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the principles and dynamics of media (how each element performs alone and together, and how each are constantly changing), as well as in-depth knowledge of all things newspaper media related (for example, ROP, inserts and insert distribution options, shared mail, sponsorships, specialty units, etc.) and a deep understanding of local digital media. They must have a solid understanding of the investment side of the business as well as a strong understanding of the clients’ industries and environments within which they operate.
The Manager of Strategy assumes ultimate responsibility for the work generated by the team with the ability to train and inspire, as well as provide high-level strategic knowledge. They must foster a strong, cohesive working team with keen problem solving skills. They must maintain a high-level presence with key client and / or agency contacts through regular communications, relationship building and face-to-face interaction.
The Manager of Strategy is responsible for seeking out new opportunities to grow client business and must have a strong understanding of the financial goals behind each client which includes ROI, savings goals, revenue and Novus profitability. They must demonstrate the ability to prioritize, delegate, manage multiple projects, conceive and create new ideas, and ensure seamless process and flow. They must receive and fulfill requests, without error and in a timely manner, by coordinating workflow among the team and between internal departments. This person should be able to manage expectations with all types of people.
The Manager of Strategy must have good story-telling ability, the aptitude to explain things clearly and succinctly, and boil down relevant insights. They must also have compelling written and verbal presentation skills and style along with strong listening skills.
- Maintain and nurture relationships with key client and/or agency contacts and decision makers through regular, face-to-face interaction; lead internal / external status updates and calls
- Provide ongoing strategic vision, proactively find and present new ways to build the client’s business
- Guide workflow between Operations and Media Investment departments; manage team workflow by delegating appropriate responsibilities through daily team interaction and weekly team status meetings; supervise team members to ensure day-to-day responsibilities are met and requests are executed flawlessly against clients’ strategic direction
- Set, measure, track and report key client goals (ROI, savings, relationship indicators, etc.) and team goals (revenue, margin, growth, new opportunities, etc.) on a monthly basis
- Develop efficiencies to streamline processes with the company and clients; develop understanding of company’s system as well as a functional proficiency as it relates to the Client Services role
- Accurately manage and report on client revenue and margin forecasts in conjunction with company’s financial processes (weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc.)
- Keep general knowledge of all client projects, even if not team lead for project
- College degree (preferably in Marketing, Advertising, or Business)
- 7+ years work experience (preferably within the print / digital / media industry; agency experience a plus)
- 5+ years experience in a management or supervisory role
- Be a team player with a positive attitude
- Highly analytical and creative mind in strong communication skills with experience in building and managing a team through a use of excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Possesses a desire for excellence and a passion to succeed in a fast moving and ever evolving environment where everyone is expected to be hands-on
- Proven quantitative and analytic abilities
- Proven ability as a creative problem solver
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with an exceptional ability to grow and foster client relationships
- Ability to manage tight deadlines while multi-tasking
- Computer proficiency (strongly preferred: experience with Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook)