Front-end Developer, Senior Software Engineer (13316) Newark, California
Front-end Developer, Senior Software Engineer
Newark CA or Hoboken NJ
We are hiring a Senior Software Engineer to provide senior-level contribution to the Miu development team which is part of the Capital Markets Group. Miu is a portfolio management platform developed for the purpose of assessing risk associated with insurance-linked securities such as catastrophe bonds, industry loss warranties, excess mortality bonds, swaps or reinsurance contracts. It is used by investors around the globe to apply sophisticated portfolio management practices within this asset class. The original Miu application is developed as a desktop application and we are looking to re-engineer it as a cloud-hosted application utilizing the elastic compute resource.
Objective of the Senior Software Engineer:
This is a hands-on development position for an experienced and well-rounded developer with an opportunity to play a key role in designing and developing the future of Miu, as well as participating in all aspects of an iterative software development process. We need you to work closely with our product management team and bring your technical and software experience to help solve critical business functions. You will be working on the entire stack of the application ranging from user interface, services and data storage. If you find yourself working on a technology silo, but is very interested to work on end-to-end product, this is the opportunity for you.
Key Accountabilities & Deliverables:
- Collaborate with team members to develop application infrastructure components, following coding, documentation and design standards
- Understand how existing code works and functions. Clearly articulate the potential improvements and proposes new design.
- Participate in requirements gathering to be able to effectively construct technical design and documentation. Deliver proof of concept work easily-incorporated into a production codebase
- Evaluate and propose technical solutions. You need to be comfortable with open source community with no hesitation to adopt and extend open source libraries.
- We rely on you to be up to date with latest technologies both front-end and backend. Quick and eagerness to learning should be your second nature. The hunger to learning new technologies in related areas should be churning within you! This position requires the candidate to demonstrate strong technical competency, be a subject matter expert and a hands-on technical contributor.
- Hands on production level programming experience with at least one preferably two of the following languages: C#, Java or Ruby.
- Expert in at least two web application frameworks. At least one of them should be RoR or ASP.NET MVC.
- Candidate should be able to contribute in web performance optimization.
- In-depth knowledge of querying and structuring databases along with database procedures and functions.Candidate must be able to understand, define and use table relations.
- Hands-on experience building and maintaining RESTful web services.
- Knowledge of software engineering practices required for working in groups, such as sdlc, peer review, revision control systems, continuous test and production support.
- Software developer - Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Understands one lightweight markup language such as Haml.
- Understands a wide variety of back end data stores and know when, why, and how to use relational database (SQL Server), NOSQL (MongoDB and Redis), and custom stores (HDFS files).
- Understand the trade-off between SOAP and REST along with HTTP verbs and Hypermedia.
- Strong background on Design Patterns.
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner.
- Strong agile engineering discipline: TDD, CI, automated tests, and non-solo development.
There’s a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year and a 1% chance that an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss in the next 12 months. At RMS, we build simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand their financial risks as a result of natural catastrophes, terrorism, pandemics, or changes in life expectancy.
We are one of the most exciting and technologically sophisticated firms you’ve ‘never’ heard of, unless you’re one of our clients in the (re)insurance, banking or hedge fund sector. As we lead an industry we helped pioneer we are able to offer stimulating careers to those who want to make a real impact on the world at large. At RMS we believe in thought leadership, personal growth and out-standing performance and support a culture of inclusiveness across all our offices.
As we approach our 25th anniversary, we are evolving our vision by delivering future solutions in the cloud, releasing in 2014 a cutting edge risk management platform ‘RMS(one)’ for the global risk market and we’re looking for talented professionals to join us.
To find out more visit: www.rms.com. ; Or follow us on Facebook or @rmsjobs on Twitter
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.