Principal DevOps Engineer (13131) Newark, California
As a key member of the RMS Cloud Engineering team, the Principal DevOps Engineer will contribute to the evolution of the automation framework design and tool selection, as well as write code and tests, and continue to drive intelligence and efficiency into cloud operations.
Your team will be responsible for the automation of the entire cloud lifecycle including virtualization layer, cloud manager, operating systems, networking, storage, middleware, application platform and management tools. This position interfaces with Software Development, QA, Product Management and other operations teams involved with product delivery.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Interfacing with application platform development and technology vendors to capture manual operational processes
- Deployment and operational automation of all levels of a complex SaaS platform
- Integration of monitoring and logging information into operational automation
- Participation in agile development process
- Delivery of tools and documentation to QA and cloud operations team
Technical Skills Requirements:
- 3-5+ years experience administering cloud based applications and platforms
- 3-5+ years experience setting up and configuring hosted firewalls, load balancers, domain servers, web server security and other technologies such as caching, monitoring and performance tuning.
- 2-5+ years experience in software development, preferably around infrastructure management
- 2+ years hands on experience with Chef/Puppet and Ruby on Rails
- 2+ years experience with at least one of vCenter/vCloud Director, AWS or OpenStack (prefer vCenter/vCloud Director)
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Zenoss and Splunk
- Experience with cloud automation tools tools such as enStratus, jclouds, RunDeck/ControTier, mCollective, etc.
- Experience managing Linux and Windows OS/patch lifecycle
- Experience with Hadoop, MongoDB and/or Vertica a definite plus
- Experience with either MicroStrategy and Informatica a definite plus
- Working knowledge of virtualization, networking and security
- Web UI/Portal/API development a plus
- Java/Scala development a plus
Business Skills Requirements:
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work closely with clients and vendors to resolve technical issues
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Natural technical leadership skills
- BS Computer Science or related technical field
Founded in 1989 today RMS is the world leader in catastrophe risk modeling. From earthquakes, hurricanes, and floods to terrorism, longevity, and infectious diseases, our models provide critical risk management solutions to financial institutions around the world. Based in our Silicon Valley headquarters and with offices throughout North America, Europe, and Asia, our team of more than 950 professionals may be larger than it used to be, but we’re still as ambitious and innovative as ever. Whether quantifying risks due to climate change, simulating how medical breakthroughs could extend life expectancy, delivering supercomputing in the cloud, or transforming an industry with our next generation technology platform, our passion is innovation driven by the courage to tackle problems others reject as unsolvable.
At RMS, we believe the result of deeper knowledge is positive change. Our ultimate goal is to create a more sustainable and resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events.