Sr. Software Engineer – Media Systems (Fox Networks) (FNG0003370) Los Angeles, California
Sr. Software Engineer – Media Systems (Fox Networks Engineering & Operations - Los Angeles, CA 90064)
Fox Networks Engineering & Operations (NE&O) is seeking a Sr. Software Engineer to develop software applications for on-air broadcast and production systems. The focus of this position is on digital media software development and includes requirements definition, design, development, installation and testing. The digital media systems being developed for all NE&O clients, including Fox Sports, FSN, FSI, FBC, FX, BigTen, Speed as well many others. This software engineer work directly with other Fox departments and vendors to define and execute large scale media projects. This requires that this person be familiar with the software development process as well as media creation and production processes. This position will also be responsible for setting the direction and strategy for all software projects and technology adoption used by both technical and creative teams. This role is based on the Fox Studios Lot in Los Angeles, CA.
The Fox Networks Engineering and Operations Group (NE&O) is the group that is singularly responsible for the receipt, uplink, delivery and distribution of all networks wholly or partially owned by FOX, Inc. NE&O is a 24/7 mission critical operation which supports business units in seven distinct locations – three (3) in Los Angeles, California (Pico, Playa del Rey and 1440 Sepulveda); one (1) in The Woodlands, TX; one (1) in San Francisco, CA; one in Charlotte, NC; and one (1) in New York, NY. Overall, NE&O has over 1000 full-time equivalent employees. Candidates who seek employment with NE&O must be available to work 24/7.
- Perform software development tasks including software design, development, integration and testing of the systems and applications.
- Provide technical guidance to other members of the software team on media based software development.
- Coordinate software projects and develop schedules for all tasks to ensure project deliverables
- Create and maintain technical documents on software related projects for NE&O and clients
- Support software used for production and live events including travelling to remote on-air locations for Fox Sports, FSN, FSI, Speed, Big Ten and others - as needed
- Research, report and recommend new product technology and meet with technology vendors for media based broadcast applications; provide feasibility analysis for technology updates and development tools
- Meet with clients and other technical team members to define requirements, communicate design and delivery milestones as well as maintain design specifications and test plans
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related technical field.
- 8+ years of software development experience, preferably within technical a division of a media company.
- Team lead / project management type experience working in a high-pressure production environment is desired
- Solid knowledge of a variety of programming and scripting languages, such as C, C++, HTML, Perl, Python, and c-shell
- Solid knowledge of software development and deployment process for a variety of platforms, Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.
- Experience developing media based software systems using media platforms such as Quicktime API, Windows Media, Flash based streaming server, MPEG, H.264, etc.
- Familiarity with current trends in media software development including software codecs, video streaming, 3D graphics among others desired.
- Excellent written and verbal (inter-personal) communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing; good interpersonal and customer service skills – both written and verbal required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.