Mechanical Engineer - Quality Assurance (BBBH4389) White Plains, New York
This is a full time permanent position with our client in White Plains, NY
This position provides qualified Quality Assurance technical services and support for Hydro-Fossil Quality Assurance policies, standards and practices, which applies to all of the Authority’s power generation plants, transmission and distribution facilities, and renewable assets throughout the State of New York. The responsibilities include implementing quality assurance related programs, reviewing and commenting on design and installation specifications for civil, mechanical, and/or electrical systems, components, and/or materials; field inspections; and vendor shop inspections/surveillances to ensure vendor compliance with contract requirements, especially the technical specifications.
- Support the management of quality assurance policies, standards and practices consistent with contract commitments, regulatory requirements, and Authority policies and procedures.
- Review and provide QA requirements for specifications and preliminary procurement bid documents prepared by various Authority departments and A/E’s in the process of designing new systems or upgrades to existing systems for the Authority’s generation and transmission assets.
- Review the quality systems/programs for potential vendors and suppliers to ensure that they have enforceable policies and procedures for the manufacture of systems and/or equipment that satisfy the Authority’s contract and quality assurance requirements (vendor quality audits).
- Conduct vendor shop surveillances and source inspections to ensure that purchased equipment or systems and/or the installation of the equipment or systems complies with the Authority’s contract and quality assurance requirements.
- Review and provide comments for procedures and documentation related to electrical, civil, welding, NDE, and mechanical inspections and testing in support of recurring maintenance and non-recurring capital and O&M projects to ensure compliance with the Authority’s Quality Assurance policies, standards and practices.
- Monitor field installation of vendor work to ensure compliance with contract documents and quality assurance requirements are met at the Authority’s generating facilities and bulk transmission facilities.
- Administer the Authority welding process procedures and program.
- Oversee the management of service contracts related to the Quality Assurance function including, but not limited to:
- External Quality Assurance Services
- Crane Inspection Services
- Corrosion and Coatings Inspection and Consultation Service
- Participate in standing committees that address Quality Assurance activities within the Power Supply Business Group as well as participate in external professional and industry committed including EPRI, Doble, User Groups, and Quality Assurance organizations.
- Provide technical expertise to NYPA staff regarding Quality Assurance matters.
Must be able to access all areas of the plant and conduct physical evaluations of grounds and equipment including ability to climb and work at high elevations. Must be able to perform physically demanding work while wearing safety equipment. Ability to lift/move objects weighing in excess of 50 pounds.
- Required to plan and conduct QA oversight and/or program evaluations of vendor’s quality affecting activities including design, fabrication, inspection and test.
- Must be able to observe and report conditions and events affecting material, welding, NDE, equipment, and/or system quality to the affected stakeholder and then work with the stakeholders to resolve disputes and/or technical issues.
- Must be able to participate in teams to implement process improvements. He/she must be an independent thinker and have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. He/she must be able to establish and maintain credibility with his/her peers and operating location personnel to execute the objectives of the Quality Assurance policies, standards and practices.
- Will be required to deliver clear and concise presentations, audits and surveillance reports of vendor and power plant outage activities to responsible Authority personnel.
- Position requires a U.S. passport and ability to obtain a visa for international travel.
- Must have a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent from an accredited college or university.
- It is desirable to have a Professional Engineering license in New York State.
- Must have 10+ years of applicable experience in design, engineering, auditing, quality assurance, operations and/or plant maintenance and renewable energy.
- Must also have a working knowledge of electric utility operations; electrical, mechanical, transmission systems maintenance, crane and coating inspections and safety practices.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of fossil and hydroelectric power plants, renewable energy and transmission assets and their various mechanical systems and components are preferred.
- Working knowledge of industry codes, standards and regulations (ISO 9001, ASME IX, AWS D1.1, ASNT, ASTM). AWS and NDE certifications are desirable.
- Also, he/she should have the ability to obtain other QA-related certifications.
- Must be capable of maintaining knowledge of new scientific methods and developments for the purpose of recommending changes in emphasis or content of the Authority's Quality Assurance policies, standards and practices.
- May require travel up to 75% of the time predominantly within the US with some international travel.