Database Engineer (3117) Fort Worth, Texas
Buchanan Technologies is currently searching for a Database Administrator for a client in Ft Worth. The person in this position will be responsible for the development and design of database strategies, system monitoring and improving database performance and capacity, and planning for future expansion requirements. The DBA must also plan, co-ordinate and implement security measures to safeguard the data.
- Planning for and execution of backup and recovery of data that would otherwise be corrupted, destroyed, or unavailable.
- Installing new Database Management System software (DBMS) and upgrading existing DBMS as well as related application tools. The DBA must be conversant with installation and upgrade issues, i.e. problems, requirements, etc.
- Monitoring the database environment, ensuring that the database is meeting performance standards, making sure the accuracy, integrity, and security of data are maintained, and ensuring that the error log or event log is also being monitored for database errors.
- Allocating system storage, monitoring storage utilization, and planning future storage requirements for the database system.
- Must have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of IT Security.
- To make sure data is secure, the application of rigorous security schemes is required for production and test databases.
- To work as a team with developers in areas such as design structure, debugging, implementing and tuning of queries, triggers and stored procedures that are stored in the DBMS; advocating for best practices, good design, and high performance.
- Eliminating and reducing database outages; planned and unplanned. Since not all failure can be predicted, the DBA will develop and implement recovery procedures that will reduce downtime associated with failure.
- Preparing documentation, including recording the procedures, standards, guidelines, and data descriptions necessary for the efficient and continuing use of the database environment.
- Monitoring and optimizing the performance of the database
- Demonstrated skill with effective, scalable, secure, reliable database design
- Demonstrated skill working with and influencing developers to ensure best practices are followed that deliver optimal database performance
- Strong product DBMS knowledge, e.g., Oracle Database, IBM DB2, MS SQL Server
- Strong competence with development and use of well-tuned Structured Query Language (SQL) and procedural extension language, e.g. PL/SQL, SQL/PSM, Transact-SQL, triggers, and stored procedures
- Competence in understanding of distributed computing architectures, e.g. Client/Server, Internet/Intranet, Enterprise
- Requires a bachelor�s degree from an accredited college/university, preferably in Computer Science or a related area
- 7 years experience as a database administrator
- 4 years experience as a programmer/analyst