Senior Specialist-Tunnels (Soft Ground Excavation/Construction) (7735BR) Vancouver, Canada
Hatch Mott MacDonald, a North American firm with offices throughout the U.S. and Canada offers rewarding and challenging positions. HMM provides the advantage of a full-service engineering firm with a wide variety of career paths to choose from. Being a part of the HMM Team, provides the opportunity to work with dedicated professionals on a broad range of exciting projects. Hatch Mott MacDonald, an equal opportunity employer, offers competitive benefits and is committed to developing the career of each employee.
This is a specialized tunnel engineering position that requires design and/or construction management experience with shaft excavation and bored tunnels in soft ground conditions. In this position, we will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to build on the skills and experience developed in previous tunneling projects, whilst being part of one of the foremost tunneling consultants in North America.
Reporting to the HMM Vancouver Tunnel Practice Lead and Vancouver Area Manager, the successful candidate's responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Overview of shaft and tunnel detailed design and specifications prepared by others;
- Assistance with development/review of tunnel engineering and construction contract tender documents and with procurement and bid evaluation;
- Assisting with developing project specific tunnel engineering / management manuals and procedures;
- Resident engineer duties with particular emphasis on technical review of contractor’s construction means and methods, monitoring tunnel construction progress and adjustment to changed ground conditions;
- Oversight of Tunnel Inspectors; and,
- Assistance to Senior Managers with regard to contract administration, progress reporting, change control and claims resolution in relation to the tunneling portions of projects.
The position offers career growth opportunities in a dynamic and expansion-oriented company. HMM provides competitive salaries together with comprehensive employment benefits.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience required for this role include:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Civil, Geological or Mining Engineering from an accredited university;
- A Minimum of 10 years of related work experience with shaft and tunnel excavation projects with significant experience with deep excavation in soft ground conditions is required;
- Experience with earth pressure balance (EPB) or slurry shield tunnel boring machines (TBMs) is required;
- Experience in varying excavation support systems for tunnel shaft construction in soft ground conditions is required;
- Construction Manager, Resident Engineer or Resident Tunnel Engineer appointments on tunneling projects;
- Well developed communication skills (verbal and written) are required;
- Ability to oversee up to 15 technical professionals on a project team;
- The ability to work with, and coordinate with all levels of an organization, and
- Experience in interfacing with Clients, Contractors, Sub-Contractors and other project stakeholders.