Lead Mechanical Engineer (1622) Seattle, Washington
McKinstry's success isn't a matter of fate or luck. It's the natural consequence of our commitment to innovation...how we support our employees...the unique truly integrated way we deliver...the long-term relationships we forge with our clients...and our unwavering commitment to creating buildings that are good to their owners, occupants, and the environment. Innovation runs on ideas, which can come from anywhere. Projects at McKinstry are not owned by individuals or departments, but by all of us, which is why it's common to see new employees from one discipline collaborating with 30-year veterans from another.
Established in 1960, McKinstry is a full-service design, build, operate and maintain (DBOM) firm with over 1,600 employees. McKinstry"s professional staff and trades people deliver consulting, construction, energy, and facility services. As an early adopter of the DBOM process, the company advocates collaborative and sustainable solutions that are designed to ensure occupant comfort, improve systems efficiency, reduce facility operational costs, and ultimately optimize client profitability for the life of their building. While we are well known for our expertise in design build delivery, our full service offerings of mechanical, electrical, data and plumbing have been the hallmark of our success.
We are currently seeking a Lead Mechanical Engineer to join the team as a member of our growing Special Projects Group. This person will be responsible for:
- Plans for, schedules, supervises, delegates, and provides feedback to members of the design team.
- Completes and/or supervises all design activities.
- Supervises construction administration activities on engineering projects.
- Develops positive working relationships with craft foremen and other field personnel who are assigned to projects
- Meets with each project team and their members. Includes trade"s foreman and construction managers to review the project as the design develops.
- Assists in planning and leading training sessions for design staff.
- Ability to work on large multi use projects with large project teams and mechanical systems.
- Coordinates with sales leads, cost estimators, Project Manager"s, detailing and field personnel on the development of design projects.
- Familiar with building information modeling concepts and practices when using BIM as a design platform.
- Collaborates and directs resources designing and modeling in reference to BIM.
- Ability to support sales efforts and provide engineering analysis to support sales.
- Investigates, evaluates and troubleshoots existing system operations.
- Confirms and documents existing site conditions.
- Including existing comfort and maintenance issues.
- Foresee potential future issues based on previous projects.
- Translate as-built conditions of air and hydronic system from plant, to end use device, to diagram format.
- Develops a manpower estimate based on the established scope of work, and manages the project to fit within the hours budgeted.
- Takes ownership of mechanical design, equipment selection, assessment of owner needs, and initiating the development of an overall design plan.
- Accurately completes cooling load calculations or successfully supervises the development of an accurate load calculation by others.
- Competently edit and author design specifications.
- Develop schematic level designs to be used to estimate rough order of magnitude and guaranteed maximum project values.
- Ability to coordinate with design teams on structural architectural, civil and electrical.
- Familiar with all design disciplines including Fire Protection, HVAC, hydronics, plumbing, electrical and accounts.
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Visio required; working knowledge of SharePoint preferred.
- Knowledge of how to coordinate plumbing, piping, fire protection, sheet metal systems with the project structural drawings.
- Knowledge of the applicable codes.
- Knowledge of equipment selection procedures including layout of the equipment, service clearance and good design practices.
- Bachelor"s degree in mechanical engineering or related field is required.
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years of experience in construction engineering or related experience required.
- P.E. registration is preferred.
- LEED AP preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook required
- Knowledge of AutoCAD
- Knowledge of load calculation software, Elite CHVAC preferred
- Experience in eQuest DOE2 preferred
- Knowledge of building codes in multiple jurisdictions.
- Knowledge of acoustic design requirements for HVAC systems
- Bachelor"s degree in mechanical engineering or related engineering field is required.
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years of experience in engineering design or related field is required.
- P.E. registration is preferred.
- LEED AP is preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Provide personal transportation for meetings and job visits away from the office; reimbursed.
Our company culture includes a robust mix of sound business practices and employee initiatives that promote personal and professional development, work/life balance, health and wellness and community involvement.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer. We believe every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, or Veteran or military status, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by local, state or federal law in the relevant jurisdiction. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to employment, advancement, assignment and training.
McKinstry is committed to strengthening our diversity through recruiting and retaining minority and women professionals from all backgrounds. Our commitment is consistent with our recognition that it is the outstanding people within McKinstry who have always been the source of our strength. We recognize that promoting diversity is an integral component of our continuing quest for organizational excellence.
This commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity is made equally as a social responsibility and as an economic and business necessity. Anyone with questions or concerns regarding Equal Employment Opportunity should contact their direct supervisor or the Human Resources Department without fear of retaliation of any kind.