Systems Engineer IV (42578) Sandy Springs, Georgia
Primary responsibility shall be the development of engineering solutions to allow the introduction of new products and services into Cox Communications telecommunication networks. The solutions engineering department is growing, and this individual will be a key contributor to the long-term department development. We are currently seeking complementary skill-sets to expand our areas of expertise. Responsibilities include evaluation of the technology aspects of new and existing products and platforms, and development of segmentation and design standards. Our first responsibility is to our customers which includes Cox end-users, members of the technology and associated business organizations, and Cox as a company. Projects are assessed for viability, conformance with existing architectural guidelines and design standards, and alignment with existing organizational capabilities. When new architectural guidelines or organizational capabilities need to be developed, this position may include proposing architectural guidelines or helping stand-up new departments. Projects are segmented into technology tracks that can be implemented by individual development (hardware and software) teams in a loosely inter-related manner and integrated with high chance of success. Existing capabilities should be leveraged where possible. In addition to best practices for segmenting complex adaptive systems of systems (CASoS), design practices and standards should ensure cost-effectiveness, security considerations, PII considerations, and RAMS (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, Supportability) considerations from an end-to-end perspective.
1. Evaluate new and existing projects, products, and platforms.
2. Develop solution-level segmentation plan (black-box system and high-level interface identification).
3. Work with BRR organization in reviewing business requirements, develop solution segmentation (required prior to requirement claiming).
4. Work collaboratively with product/strategy, new-business development, and architectural organizations.
5. Work with development teams in creation of technical requirements and provide input to system requirements and system design.
6. Evaluate organizational capabilities, make recommendations for development of new capabilities or expansion of existing capabilities.
7. Responsible for complex projects having significant scope/impact to the business.
1. 8+ years of experience required in a similar design lead position including design, installation and configuration methods in large cable or computer networked systems in order to acquire expertise and suitable interpersonal and analytical skills; 5+ years of experience required with a related advanced degree.
2. Knowledge of iterative (Agile) and waterfall (SDLC) development processes.
3. Demonstrated significant industry contributions by: verifiable patents filed or granted; authored or contributing author to industry publications; or contributing member on industry boards determining standards, technology specifications or interface specifications relevant to the telecommunications industry.
4. Experience with designing and integration of systems across complex telecommunications networks is required.
5. Microsoft Windows, UNIX / Linux, and IP networking experience, Cisco certification a plus. Strong knowledge of the following skill sets: Computer networking, Linux administration, Microsoft Windows administration, IP networking, backup and troubleshooting procedures.
6. Demonstrates detailed understanding of enterprise telecommunications systems.
7. Proficient knowledge of Windows Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Visio, etc.) required.
8. Highly self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented, strong sense of ownership, drive to learn and master new technologies, and the ability to work in a highly-dynamic environment.
9. Ability to travel as needed - up to 20% travel anticipated.
1. BS/BA in related discipline strongly preferred (i.e. Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, etc.).
Cox Communications, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers. We have a tradition of encouraging a wide diversity of talents through a broad range of hiring practices. Please note those individuals submitting resumes online or by mailing a resume are not considered an applicant for employment until a signed employment application form is completed, usually at the time of interview.
For more information about Cox Communications and its subsidiaries, please click here
www.cox.com, www.coxmedia.com, www.coxbusiness.com.
Statement to ALL Third Party Agencies and Similar Organizations:
Cox Communications accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox Communications employees, or send to any Cox Communications facility. Cox Communications is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.