Mapping (GIS) Design Specialist (1257) Greater Toronto Area, Canada
About Colliers International
Colliers is the leader in global real estate services, defined by our spirit of enterprise. Through a culture of service excellence and a shared sense of initiative, we integrate the resources of real estate specialists worldwide to accelerate the success of our partners. Putting into action our values of Service, Expertise, Community and Fun, we foster a collaborative, fun culture and give back to the places where we live and work. Our most valuable resource is our people: energetic, innovative thinkers who care equally about doing great work and providing exemplary service to clients and to one another.
We are successful because we enjoy what we do!
Purpose of Position:
We are looking for a Mapping (GIS) Design Specialist to join our downtown Toronto office. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing support to the sales team by responding to requests specific to mapping services using MapInfo and other proprietary software. As a member of the research team, the Mapping (GIS) Design Specialist contributes knowledge and value-add expertise for the enhancement and visual appeal of special projects. This role provides a competitive advantage for our clients using existing tools and enhancements to display geographic and spatial information.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Provide MapInfo mapping services and integrated PCensus demographic information to sales staff and research group, such as geo-referencing, geo-coding, drive time analysis, demographic reports, and market share analysis.
- Create thematic maps based on a variety of datasets.
- Utilize creativity and technical and design expertise to elevate and improve the end product delivered to internal clients and to external publications.
- Enhance maps for visual appeal using graphic software (InDesign and Photoshop).
- Use the customized Colliers Microsoft Dynamics CRM database as to input and output.
- Other duties as required.
- Post-secondary education in Geography, Urban Planning or Geo Spatial Analysis.
- 2-3 years of experience working in a related technical and design (GIS) role.
- Ability to use technical knowledge and skill to create an aesthetically pleasing map that can be used for marketing purposes.
- Strong MapInfo, MapPoint skills and PCensus; knowledge of GIS and data systems. Strong knowledge of Google Earth and ability to edit KML files.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Basic knowledge of Adobe’s Creative Suite of products including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, in a PC environment an asset.
- Knowledge of various methods for describing the location and distribution of land, sea, and air masses including their physical locations, relationships, and characteristics.
- Ability to eliminate characteristics of the mapped object that are not relevant to the map’s purpose and reduce the complexity of the characteristics that will be mapped.
- Basic understanding of the concepts behind data management in a relational database.
- Knowledge of commercial real estate terms and definitions an asset.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to deliver excellent customer service at all levels of the organization and with external partners.
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising accuracy, excellent product quality and attention to detail.
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills with a demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Strong relationship-building ability, proactive, results-oriented, and resourceful.
If you enjoy working in an optimistic, energetic and dynamic work environment that emphasizes social as well as business interaction, then we invite you to apply.