Accounting Manager (1515) Toronto, Canada
Colliers is the leader in global real estate services, defined by our spirit of enterprise. Through a culture of service excellence and a shared sense of initiative, we integrate the resources of real estate specialists worldwide to accelerate the success of our partners. Putting into action our values of Service, Expertise, Community and Fun, we foster a collaborative, fun culture and give back to the places where we live and work. Our most valuable resource is our people: energetic, innovative thinkers who care equally about doing great work and providing exemplary service to clients and to one another.
We are successful because we enjoy what we do!
Purpose of Position:
We are looking for an Accounting Manager to join our Downtown Toronto office. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and maintaining effective and value added business relationships with assigned Property Managers. The individual will direct and manage the daily accounting activities of the accounting team ensuring a high level of service to the Client and Property Managers.
The Accounting Manager will review and analyze property financial statements and supporting working papers to ensure consistent high standard of financial information at the property level. This individual will also take the lead for the implementation of process improvement initiatives within the property accounting cycle.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Provide strong management and guidance to staff in performing the property accounting functions.
- Manage the workload of staff, encourage staff development, and respond to employee concerns.
- Manage personnel matters including performance reviews, training and staff assignments.
- Ensure that the steps involved in the monthly accounting and reporting calendar are completed accurately and on schedule.
- Supervise and co-ordinate the timely preparation of monthly reports and other ad hoc analysis as required (i.e. auditors or clients).
- Review property financial statements and supporting working papers in order to ensure consistent high standard of financial information and identify possible problems or areas for further investigation.
- Act as a resource for operational staff, fielding questions, responding to information needs as well as providing assistance on technical projects and other duties as required.
- Assist Controller – Eastern Canada with coordination and supervision of annual property budgets, monthly forecasting process, tenant year end billing process, and new property setup.
- Recognize opportunities for process improvements within the property accounting cycle and make the recommendations to the Controller – Eastern Canada; assist in implementation of process improvement initiatives.
- Review and approve HST/ GST / QST returns and bank reconciliations.
- Coordinate together with Controller – Eastern Canada monthly meetings with Property Accountants and Property Managers to review monthly financial results.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned by the Controller – Eastern Canada.
- A professional accounting designation (CGA, CMA, or CA) or actively enrolled in the program at a senior level.
- Minimum 3 years of property accounting experience is required, with experience at a manager or supervisory level.
- Advanced understanding of all aspects of property accounting.
- Proven strong management, organizational, technical and communication skills.
- Solid time management skills with an ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deliver excellent customer service at all levels of the organization and with external partners.
If you enjoy working in an optimistic, energetic and dynamic work environment that emphasizes social as well as business interaction, then we invite you to apply.