Computational Biologist (BBBH11618) San Diego, California
The world's largest research-based pharmaceutical company is hiring! Our client discovers, develops, manufactures, and markets leading prescription medication.
For over 150 years, they have been making the world a healthier place to live.
This position will work closely with an experienced computational biologist and project teams and use experimental immune response and efficacy data to inform bioinformatics analysis to guide vaccine antigen design and selection.
- The candidate will have in depth knowledge and strong practical experience in bioinformatics, genomics and phylogenetic analysis, preferably with experience in molecular modelling, protein structure analysis, and/or immunoinformatics. Practical experience of Next Generation Sequencing data analysis is preferred. Experience of and/ or familiarity with T-cell and B-cell epitope prediction is preferred but not required.
- Duties will include, but are not limited to, analysis of sequence and structural conservation among antigenic proteins, prediction of protein localization and post-translational modifications, computational epitope prediction, homology modelling, and rational antigen design. These duties will be performed using existing methods as well as through developing tools/pipelines to improve predictive success and/ or efficiency. Both in-house data for candidate vaccines as well as publicly available data will be analyzed interpret results and to refine in silico methods. The candidate will be required to work with minimal supervision (following agreement of objectives and timelines) and be accountable for the critical appraisal of their results, presenting them for review at internal meetings.
- A PhD. in bioinformatics or computational biology is required, preferably with 2+ years of practical experience in bioinformatics/ computational biology in an academic or industrial setting.
- Project and related work (80-90% of time) under minimal supervision.
- Plan and execute a series of analyses to address specific scientific objectives of the project (as agreed with supervisor with guidance in areas of significant novelty).
- Select and/ or develop methodologies to guide vaccine antigen selection and design following literature review, discussion with peers/ supervisor as required.
- Will analyze and critically interpret experimental data, results and methodology used, being able to effectively communicate such to scientists with diverse backgrounds and knowledge.
- Will have and maintain skills and experience to be fully conversant with the operation and validation of all items of equipment or IT needed for experimentation, data entry and storage.
- Will use the scientific literature and electronic information critically to enhance understanding of disease/technology area and improve application of bioinformatics expertise.
- Write-up laboratory notebooks and other required documentation/ reports regularly in compliance with Company IP policy and GSP
- Preparation of presentation materials.
- Work safely themselves.
- Able to use Risk Assessments and Job Based Hazard Assessments, compliance with Company Research procedures and other Health & Safety legal requirements.
- Will recognize hazards and risks (own and others), within own area of expertise. Intervene or take action, where appropriate
Minimal Education/ Experience:
- A PhD in bioinformatics or computational biology is required, preferably with 2+ years of relevant practical experience in bioinformatics in either an academic or industrial setting.
- Alternative minimal experience: MSc. in bioinformatics or computational biology with 5+ years of relevant practical experience in an industrial setting.
Skills: MS Excel: 1-3 Years MS Outlook: 1-3 Years MS Word: 1-3 Years
Approx. Duration: 6 months
About Hired By Matrix
For more than 25 years, Hired by Matrix has been providing temporary and long-term contract staffing solutions to Fortune 1,000 as well as mid-market companies nationwide. Our clients include major pharmaceutical, delivery & logistic, business information, financial and entertainment companies. The technology that we support is as diverse as our clients. We provide consultants with experience in mainframe legacy technology all the way to cutting edge technologies, like web and mobile application development. Our consultants are in roles that include Project Managers, Architects, Business analysts, QA, developers and infrastructure & network specialists. At the request of our clients we have broadened our capabilities across a variety of different areas, including: finance and accounting, R&D, clinical sciences and administrative. And as a woman-owned, WBENC-certified business we’ve helped companies grow their Supplier Diversity spend which is certainly a nice added benefit as well.
Our extended network of qualified contract professionals offers nationwide contracting capabilities.
Our dedicated team of account managers and recruiters collaborates closely with each of our clients to understand their staffing needs, corporate requirements and company cultures before building robust, fully customized pipelines of highly-qualified contract professionals in response.