Spectrum Brands utilizes a Shared Services model that enables resources to be leveraged across the organization. The Shared Services team is made up of information technology, human resources, indirect sourcing, finance & accounting professionals that support all business units. Shared services teams are headquartered in Middleton, Wisconsin but have members across the country.
Working about 16 hours per week during the school year and full time during summer and winter breaks, the International Tax Intern is responsible for supporting the Tax department with identifying and resolving tax controversies within several tax categories. Includes international tax return preparation, provision work, planning, transfer pricing, audit defense and project based analysis.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Accurate preparation of International Federal tax return forms 8858, 5471, 8865 and supporting statements.
- Take part in annual and quarterly tax provision process; prepare three year profit before tax analysis, analyze global legislative changes, assist in the review and reconciling of foreign unit tax packages.
- Responsible for monthly account reconciliations and proposal of journal entries to be submitted for any necessary adjustments to respective accounts.
- Prepare, update, and streamline spreadsheets summarizing data across foreign entities, utilizing Microsoft Excel functions, to be used by the team in compliance, provision, planning projects, and analysis.
- Assists in the maintenance and monitoring of tax-related accounts used in financial reporting.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements
- Provides support for ad-hoc projects
Education and Experience Profile
- Student status at an accredited university in a Bachelor’s Degree program with an emphasis on finance, accounting, and/or tax preferred.
- 0-2 years of general corporate tax experience ideal.
- Ability to work with federal and international governmental agencies in a professional manner to resolve tax issues.
- Ability to research income, and international tax issues.
- Ability to interpret financial data received from the divisional finance teams to ensure tax filings and information provided to the government authorities is accurate.
- Willingness to learn by working through new tasks with support from the team.
- Project management skills with the ability to prioritize in a changing environment.
- Professional oral and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical, organizational, decision making, and administrative skills.
- Fair level of skepticism and curiosity in the flow of everyday work to be able to identify issues and/or changes that might affect the company.
- Ability to manage, interpret, and report on highly fragmented, often voluminous data.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with tax return or research applications is a plus.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.