BI Engineer (OMGALMW01) New York, New York
Business Intelligence Engineer (Report and ETL BI Specialist):
We are a global media agency looking for an agile business intelligence programmer who is used to working in an agile management environment and has experience with the MS BI stack. They should be creative, intelligent, able to work with teams and eager to learn.
PURPOSE: The Sr. Business Intelligence Programmer is responsible for development, enhancement, testing, maintenance, and support of analysis & reporting solutions. Under the guidance of senior staff, this individual will work with business analysts, project managers and other developers to understand and analyze more complex requirements, develop and implement analysis, reporting, BI, and ETL solutions. They will ensure the accuracy and integrity of data; write efficient code; write clear documentation and provide proactive troubleshooting. The Sr. Business Intelligence Programmer will work under the guidance of the senior staff to proactively analyze, identify, and interpret problems, and to develop and implement measures to solve them. The incumbent may lead smaller scale initiatives and work on multiple projects.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the general direction of Manager, Business Intelligence, the incumbent’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following under the guidance of senior staff:
• Develop, support and maintain the enterprise data warehouses and the reporting front-ends for the high quality decision support and executive information solutions.
• Engage in enterprise-level design, development and testing, including data and dimensional modeling; logical and physical table design; complex queries, stored procedures and triggers; data transformation, aggregation and enterprise application integration; high performance; scalable based designs; data partitioning and clustering; and best practice security design.
• Consult with business partners such as analysts, management and other developers to clarify program objectives, determine scope, identify problems and recommend solutions.
• Work with project lead, developers, analysts, and business users to understand business processes, understand requirements and translate specifications into BI reports/analysis and application/process enhancements.
• Develop, test, and implement efficient and maintainable program logic for existing and new applications in accordance with the technical specifications.
• Generate clear and concise documentation as required within the programs and within the application documentation repository.
• Analyze test runs of applications to correct or direct correction of coded program.
• Develop parameterized reports through from a variety of data sources.
• Maintain, support, enhance and recommend changes to multi-dimensional models while adhering to enforced development methodologies.
• Create ad-hoc queries and reports as requested and provide on-going analytical support for these requests.
• Create test plans, and evaluate testing results taking corrective action as necessary.
• May lead one small scale project/initiative and work on multiple projects/initiatives.
• Monitor performance of assigned system applications.
• Investigate more complex reported code defects and resolve or recommend a solution.
• Work with DBAs to perform database maintenance, including enhancing and maintaining existing database systems to increase operating efficiency or adapt to newer requirements.
• Prepare documentation and manages revisions.
• Assist less experienced staff members on their assignments and provide them with information about the company business, system details, and complex technical issues.
• Researches emerging technologies, trends and benchmark data to make recommendations to management within or outside of division.
• Identifies opportunities for departmental efficiencies or process improvements and self-initiates new SOPs or makes recommendations to management.
• This position is also subject to being "on call" for emergency situations requiring immediate resolution.
Travel between all company locations may be required but not likely.
• BA/BS in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field or a certification from technical school or equivalent directly related work experience
• 5-8 years experience with database management systems, ETL systems, business intelligence tools, and systems.
• Development experience in the following: .NET Development Language (VB.NET or C#); .NET Framework (1.1, 2.0, or 3.0); SQL Development (PL/SQL or T-SQL); Technical Documentation; ETL Technologies
• Demonstrated experience solving complex scenarios utilizing SQL Language (either PL/SQL or T-SQL)
• Demonstrated experience in Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence concepts and maintenance utilizing MSSQL and Oracle databases, Business Objects Data Integrator, Informatica, SSIS or other ETL software.
• Demonstrated experience in creating data quality workflows using ETL solutions.
• Demonstrated experience in Data Warehouse development concepts (Data Modeling, Database Administration, Performance Tuning)
• Solid understanding of data retrieval, transformation, and data warehousing architectural approaches
• Experiencing training and mentoring other less experienced members of a team.
• Solid interpersonal skills including the ability to build consensus and agreement and bring resolution to contentious issues and entrenched interests.
• Proven ability to lead problem-solving discussions.
• Attention to detail and excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to set priorities and handle multiple projects concurrently.
• Solid PC skills including Microsoft office software such as Word, Excel, and Power Point.
Minimum 3 years experience in the following technologies:
(MS SQL Server or ORACLE) Relational Database Development
SQL Language (either PL/SQL or T-SQL)
1+ years experience in the following technologies:
SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
Demonstrated experience building analysis tools and reports that take advantage of OLAP/Dimensional Modeling capabilities.
Experience with medical claims/clinical data.
At least one: Business Objects Web Intelligence/Cognos/MS Power View/MS Performance Point