Construction Specialist 2 (11872BR) Bellevue, Washington
Location: Tooele, UT & Other Field Sites
With limited direction and supervision, assists in management, administration, estimating, quality control, scheduling, safety adherence support and technical direction for particular projects as assigned by supervisors. May manage small projects independently.
All CDM Smith employees must: Follow all requirements of the company safety program. Take personal responsibility for Safety in working environment. Promote safety among peers, subordinates and supervisors.
Follow all requirements of the company quality management system. Take personal responsibility for Quality in working environment. Promote quality among peers, subordinates and supervisors.
Field Engineering/Project Management:
Provide administrative and technical support. Supervise and direct administrative (Technical & field) project activities as assigned.
- Prepare and review submittals
- Issue construction documents and layout to field crews
- Prepare and interpret specifications drawings for foreman and superintendents
- Maintain and edit all field as-built drawings for project
- Complete Requests for information (RFI)
- Maintain/Update Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) reporting
- Coordinate timely arrival of parts, equipment, construction materials, and installation with field personnel and vendors
- Develop purchase orders, subcontracts, change orders, and applications for payment to the client
- Perform surveying functions and verify final locations and elevations
- Prepare required documentation records such as status reports, Operations and Maintenance manuals, warranties, spare parts, punch lists.
- May work with design engineers, clients and labor/subcontractors to determine solutions for unexpected site conditions
- Assist with development and update project schedule
- May attend meetings with Owner, subcontractor and associated project personnel
- Perform standard estimating tasks, such as quantity take-offs, creating material price lists, and applying labor, material and equipment costs to these take-offs.
- Using information previously gathered, complete general administration and record keeping duties including computer input and upkeep of estimating software
- Utilize Timberline Estimating System to prepare less complex Opinions of Probable Cost of Construction in their entirety and assist in the preparation of Design Build Projects
- Contact subcontractors and suppliers for current pricing. Coordinate pricing from Subcontractors and suppliers for current pricing
- Participate in pre-bid job walks
- Participate in Bid-Day quote tabulations
- Responsible for all planning and scheduling activities for engineering and construction projects, including resource loading and dollar loading
- Prepare/update and issue master schedules, bar charts, cost control, variance reports, etc. from staff input
- Provide oversight and technical direction to lower level professional, technical and clerical staff
- Develop plans and procedures for document management (Contract Manager) and is administrator of software.
- Prepare and explain advanced reports and graphics to clarify/explain subcontract change requests, bid comparisons, new work item estimates, and resolution of potential schedule/work problems
- Collect updated information from project team for scheduling, action items, and other monthly tracking documents, for the input/output of computer generated reports.
- Develop input, determine agendas, and attend scheduling & other project meetings with other construction departments, subcontractors, and clients, as required
Perform additional duties in specialized areas as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management or related degree.
Experience: Minimum 3 years related experience in the construction industry; Master’s Degree in Engineering or Construction Management in lieu of experience. Basic knowledge of industry practices, processes, design, finance, and management; Thorough knowledge of company policies, procedures, and standards; Able to communicate complex concepts and ideas to colleagues and clients; performs active listening; Proficient personal computer skills including current Administrative and Scheduling software or similar products; Understanding of how business works in practical matters of financial and behavioral tendencies to enable good, quick business decisions with an appreciation of their impact.; Utilize previously developed plan reading and visualization skills.
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate—as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an equal opportunity employer.