Technical Writer – COROD Global Service Line (36427) Edmonton, Canada
One of the largest oilfield services companies, Weatherford operates in more than 100 countries and employs more than 65,000 people worldwide. With a product and service portfolio that spans the life cycle of a well— drilling, evaluation, completion, production and intervention— and a robust research and development effort, we are well positioned to meet the ever-evolving needs of the oil and gas industry. Turn to Weatherford for attentive service and Tactical Technology™ designed to maximize the value of your oil and gas assets. The change will do you goodSM
Weatherford International Inc. is one of the largest global providers of products and services that span the drilling, evaluation, completion, production, and intervention cycles of oil and natural gas wells. Weatherford is a new breed of service company—one that can provide the industry with extended products and services, more efficient operations, more powerful research and development capabilities and greater geographic diversity
Weatherford’s COROD Continuous Rod is one of the leading well optimization solutions for reciprocating (RRP) and progressing cavity pumping (PCP) applications. With over 25,000 installations spanning the past 40+ years, COROD continuous rod’s engineered solutions are a proven and viable method for optimizing artificial- lift systems the world-over.
Weatherford’s COROD Continuous Rod Training group provides comprehensive technical support to our global applications and operations teams. Our corporate structure at Weatherford cultivates career growth and opportunity, enabling a fulfilling career in the oilfield services industry.
The Technical Writer is responsible for all aspects of creating, managing, storing and distribution of technical documentation and the revision of existing documentation to support the COROD Continuous Rod and Well Services operations.
- Complete writing assignments according to set standards, existing templates and company documentation preparation procedures.
- Proven ability to create a comprehensive project plan.
- Proven ability to meet timelines and produce quality materials.
- Design, develop and prepare technical manuals, training materials and educational aids or other technical documentation or media.
- Review existing COROD technical work instructions, operations manuals and other technical documents and recommend revisions to scope, format, content and methods of reproduction and binding.
- Organize and prepare material, including but not limited to text, images, drawings, diagrams and charts for technical documents.
- Work with technical specialists and subject matter experts to gather information to be used in the preparation or revision of documentation.
- Consult with customer representatives, vendors, plant executives, or publisher to establish technical specifications and to determine subject material to be developed for publication.
- Travel to operations sites or other locations or to collect information and imagery for use in preparing publications.
- Track and maintain files and revisions.
- Analyze developments in specific fields to determine requirements for revision of existing publications.
- Organize and chair technical document committees.
- Review manufacturer’s manuals and trade catalogs relative to the operations, maintenance and service of equipment for revision of existing publications
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
Education & Experience
- Post secondary technical education
- 3+ years’ of relevant experience in a similar role as a technical writer; O&G experience would be considered an asset
- College certificate for technical writing or 2 - 3 years of hands on experience in preparation and/or coordination of technical writing or equivalent
Skill, Knowledge, Ability, Experience, Other Attributes
Results Oriented: Demonstrates a high energy level, a positive attitude, and a genuine commitment to exemplary customer service; able to meet tight deadlines, willing and able to be involved in various projects, interfacing with multiple people at the same time
Team Oriented: Demonstrates ability to contribute to improve the performance of the team and create a collaborative and positive work environment. Fosters good working relationships and gains credibility through superior performance
Organization: Must be very well organized with a proven ability to organize work in an efficient and effective manner in keeping with best practices in the workplace
Very Good Communicator: Has the demonstrated ability to develop and articulate an effective flow of ideas and information (oral and written). Excellent formatting and grammatical skills
Microsoft Office: Intermediate to advanced experience, knowledge and skill in the use of Microsoft Office 2010. Advanced ability and experience in the use of Microsoft Word and publishing and imagery software
Safety Minded: Demonstrate consistently a commitment to follow safety policies and procedures and to proactively identify and minimize risks in the work environment
Languages: Fluent in English; Spanish would be a definite asset
This role may be considered safety sensitive therefore successful completion of a pre-employment Medical, Drug & Alcohol test are required
Weatherford offers competitive compensation and benefits upon hire; including 3 weeks vacation to start, RRSP matching, a health spending account and opportunities for on-going training and career development.