Manager, Tax Planning and Projects (33167) Calgary, Canada
One of the largest oilfield services companies, Weatherford operates in more than 100 countries and employs more than 50,000 people worldwide. With a product and service portfolio that spans the life cycle of a well— drilling, evaluation, completion, production and intervention— and a robust research and development effort, we are well positioned to meet the ever-evolving needs of the oil and gas industry. Turn to Weatherford for attentive service and Tactical Technology™ designed to maximize the value of your oil and gas assets. The change will do you goodSM
Weatherford Canada is looking for a Manager, Tax Planning and Projects
Reporting to the Director, Tax
- Tax planning projects as assigned – most involving complex international tax matters (both inbound and outbound)
- Oversee indirect tax function in all provinces (GST, QST, PST) and supervision of staff
- Develop new ideas to lower the company’s effective tax rate
- Manage withholding tax issues around the globe
- Assist Tax Reporting Manager where needed in review of various tax reporting requirements
- Review of large income tax filings
- Responsible for both income tax and commodity tax audits
- Collaborate with international tax staff around the world on global tax planning projects
- Liaise with the leaders of Weatherford Canada’s various product lines to identify opportunities and assist in acquisition/disposition transactions.
- Represent Weatherford in Industry and Professional Organizations
- Work with headquarters transfer pricing department to ensure that Weatherford Canada is complying with the international transfer pricing rules
- Assist in identification of (and the filing of) the company’s SR&ED claims
- Manage professional advisors
- Staying abreast of current legislative developments and trends in the jurisprudence
- Assist with the leadership and mentoring of the tax department
- 10+ years of experience in corporate tax matters within a large corporate environment or public practice.
- Significant exposure to both inbound and outbound international tax issues. The company is part of the international Weatherford group with significant foreign affiliates around the world.
- Effective team player on Tax and Cross-Functional teams
- Solid knowledge of Excise Tax Act
- Strong prioritization skills.
- Professional accounting or legal designation
- Completion of the CICA In-Depth Tax Course
- Proficiency in excel, word, powerpoint and sharepoint.
- Experience in using JD Edwards accounting system would be an asset
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem solving, research and planning strategy experience
- Knowledge of the Oil and Gas Industry is preferred
Weatherford offers a competitive compensation and benefits upon hire; including 3 weeks vacation to start, RRSP matching, a health spending account and opportunities for on-going training and career development.